September 1, 2012

We now return to our regularly scheduled... um... hmm... what is this, anyhow?

Well, I've had longer sabbaticals, so a month and a half or so isn't too bad! I have been busy, too, so although I can't really see myself picking up where I left off (with promises to tell about my trip to Seattle, etc.) I do have lots to talk about :) First off, I do have to apologize to whoever was getting used to my semi-regular posting. I know I dropped off the face of the blogging planet, and the main reason for that was a mean bout of depression. Multiple rejections and dead-ends in the job search just started to get to me, so I went on an anime binge and didn't come out of it until we found out we were moving. My bad, completely :S In my defense, I also spent a couple weeks packing and moving and unpacking, so it wasn't all avoidable... right? :)
Treats from my favorite pastry shop in Seattle
That being the case, I do have some news! It's a bit of a mixed bag... My darling husband has a job now (though this means he'll be taking a quarter off of school), and I have an interview on Monday (nothing solid, though). We're all moved into our new place (technically Davey's old place), and with a job (or two) I'll probably have a car and get my driver's license soon! If-all-goes-well-fingers-crossed-knock-on-wood-etc... At any rate, I'm optimistic on all fronts :D If I can get myself back on a regular course of blogging, reading, and working, I feel that my mental health will be 100%, and I'm sure everybody is happy about that!
Think happy thoughts :)
Speaking of reading brings me to my next happy new thing: Goodreads!!! Oh my goodness, I love this site so much, for so many reasons. Keeping track of what I read (or watch) is really handy, and helps me to set goals. I've been wanting to join a book club for a while now but I had no idea where to start with looking for a book club; now I'm in three book clubs and planning to get lots of reading done! Which, in turn, will probably give me lots to think and write about (yay!). The problem will be balancing work and play...
   

Oh! WIDGETS!!! I'm sure I mention this before, but I finally got my Amazon-wishlist widget to work, and now I have a shiny new Goodreads widget so you can see what I'm reading! I even got them to match my blog: squee! It's the little things :) And since you can see what I'm reading, all my lovely readers can keep me accountable if I go on a tangent or skip over a book, etc. :) For instance, I'm currently reading "A Knight of the Word" by Terry Brooks. I joined a lovely book club call Read By Theme, and it's just what it sounds like, so I won't go into detail, but this month's theme is Teenage Protagonists. Usually, I think I would have a problem figuring out what to read in this theme, but the Shannara series is helping me out.

I know this looks like LOTR, but it's not :)

I've read about half of Terry Brook's Shannara books before, but I, uh, *ahem* got them taken away from me... Yes, that happened. At any rate, he's written several more since then, including a few prequels, and I've managed to get my hands on about 20 of them in ebook format. I'm reading them in chronological order, beginning with "Running With The Demon" which I finished a couple days ago. Very interesting way to "begin" the series since I started with "The Sword of Shannara" way back when, so I'm very excited about it. The writing style and subject somehow reminds me a lot of Frank Peretti's writing,which intrigues me since I imagine them to be very different authors. However, it's been a while since I read any of Peretti's work (sadface) so I'm not sure; it's just reminiscent to me.


Comparing authors is not something I usually do...
I want to get back to my book now, but I won't gone long again, I promise :D

No comments:

Post a Comment