September 12, 2012

Noom, LRU, and other stuff

My goals seem to be all over the place lately... first off, I know I was going to post every five days, which was two days ago, but I didn't get around to it Monday, and yesterday I kind of avoided it because I felt obligated to mention 9/11 if I wrote a post on that day, and since I didn't have anything to say (and I hate feeling like I'm being forced to do something), I just put it off. Ironically, I'm mentioning today, but I'm going to just see that as my own choice :) Also, sorry about that run-on sentence...  I'll try again to be on a schedule, but since I'm really just not that uptight about being punctual for myself, it probably won't happen XD Another side note: typing with bright pink-red nails is very distracting and feels mildly retro somehow.
Little bright spots that draw the eye...
But to get back on the topic of goals: Noom! My sister introduced me to this cool free app, and I really like it. It's a "weight loss coach" that lets you log meals, exercise, and your weight, and has daily tasks for you to complete. It actually manages to make these things really fun because when you do tasks (or pretty much anything) you earn points and you can actually level up! I'm at level 3 :D Like my sister says, it's great because it makes you more aware of what you're eating and doing. Did I mention it functions as a pedometer? Which is great, because of course I take my phone everywhere X) My goal weight is at the top end of the healthy spectrum for my age and height, 160lbs. Yesterday I estimated my current weight was 215lbs, but after actually weighing in this morning, I'm only at 208lbs! Woot for being ahead of schedule on at least one goal :D Now if I can start getting some walking in every day...
Weight conscious, not weight obsessed :)
So I'm behind on blogging, ahead on weight loss, and completely flummoxed about school. Yes, that's right, I'm talking about school again. But here's the thing: so far, I can't find a job; my loans are going to coming up due pretty soon; and I can't help but think my mom has a point when she says I might have a better time of it if I finish my bachelor's degree (for those of you keeping track, I have an A.A. and a certificate so far). Part of the reason I haven't wanted to do this, besides being burned out on school, was because I didn't want to go further into debt. Another reason is that I didn't know what I would want to study; given the residency requirements of most schools, I would need to take 50-60 credits in only one subject to finish a degree. Ouch.
So not a good thing...
However, if I could find something I enjoyed to study, didn't go into (more) debt, and could defer my loans a little while making myself more employable... that sounds like a pretty good deal, right? So this is what I'm considering: LRU has a Religion & Christian Worldview degree online, and I could just about pay tuition with just grants, and not take any loans. Being in school defers my loans (although the interest still accrues) so I could still look for work while I finish my degree, and actually even work and go to school at the same time if I found something part-time! So, financially, this seems like a good choice. But even more than that, the course of study really and truly interests me. I've always wanted to have a better foundation of biblical knowledge, and and I know I could still do a Master's in library science later if the need arose. All this is very exciting to me, so I'm hoping I can get them to waive the application fee :) I'm too late to start this fall, but by spring I hope I can figure this all out...
Maybe?
Heh, almost got all my pics to color-coordinate :) Back to my books now... I've been slowing down a little and I'm wanting to pick up the pace again. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment