November 10, 2012

Laziness and other stuff

I'm putting off the Dracula post yet again, for two reasons: first, I really want to do it justice and write the best post I can; and second, I'm just tired :) I worked 15 hours this week, for the first time in well over a year, so I think I have a right to be slightly lazy this weekend. But in lieu of talking about a book, I do have some awesome crappy photos of my nail and hair fails! I attempted a version of a French tip manicure, and, since I don't have the steadiest of hands, the result was kinda awful... I used some of my favorite polish (Sally Hansen Hard As Nail Xtreme Wear) in three different colors: Gunmetal for the base, Black Out & Disco Ball for the tips. Great color combination, but quite poor in execution. However, I found a really nice tutorial that has me excited to clean them up and try again tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't find this video until after I finished the tips the hard way, so this was the result:

Please excuse my gorilla hands :) Honestly, I was pretty happy with the neatness level of the Gunmetal, since I usually slop the polish all over the edges, but those tips were almost impossible. You can see I gave up when I got to my thumbs and just did a side stripe, which actually looks rather fun when my thumbs are bent like that, since the stripes all line up XD I've done stripes along the side on all of my nails before, too, and it looks really nice. But after I get off work on Monday I'll do a "Manicure Monday" post with the results of the tutorial, probably in the same colors unless I figure out something else to try. I'm missing some of my nail  polishes because I forgot them in Idaho at my mom's house, or else I would try a traditional French tip with white and pink :( But on to the next fail!
Again, please excuse my Saturday grunge (I would have at least put on eyeliner, but I'm almost out and trying to save it for work :)). And no, the fail isn't actually those pics... I felt like I did I decent job with the "cocoons" after watching this tutorial several times, although it was super tricky. I think I need to practice a bit more, especially at getting the cocoon started higher up on my head, but for my first try I was happy enough to not start over. In the video she says she left them in about 5 hours... I tried 2 hours, just to see how it looks. I didn't want super tight telephone cord curls, and I'm impatient XD Sadly, the ends of my hair are in dire need of a trim, so even while putting my hair up I could tell (and you can probably see in the pics) that they would not be very neat by the end of the Experiment. Unsurprisingly, I was right:
I should have started way higher up on my head, since my hair isn't very long, and the ends are basically pure frizz XD The pigtails were my husband's styling suggestion, once he stopped laughing at me of course! I laughed pretty hard myself, though :) I don't think I'll be trying this again any time soon: I need a haircut and some longer hair before I think my hair will respond well to cocooning. I'll just stick to my flat iron, thank you!

Alright, I've promised a post on Monday at the very least, and Dracula will be forthcoming as well... Time to go find some dinner! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment